INSPIRATION STARTS HERE!!
WHAT IS FIRST?
Combining the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. We call FIRST Robotics Competition the ultimate Sport for the Mind. High-school student participants call it “the hardest fun you’ll ever have.” Under strict rules, limited resources, and an intense six-week time limit, teams of 20 or more students are challenged to raise funds, design a team "brand," hone teamwork skills, and build and program industrial-size robots to play a difficult field game against like-minded competitors. It’s as close to real-world engineering as a student can get. Volunteer professional mentors lend their time and talents to guide each team. Each season ends with an excitingFIRST Championship.
The positive impact on FIRST Robotics Competition participants is gratifying and well documented. Over 88% have more interest in school, 90% have more interest in taking a challenging math or science course, and 90% are more interested in attending college. View the FIRST Impact
FIRST Robotics Competition teams get to:
- Learn from professional engineers
- Master STEM skills
- Learn and use sophisticated software, hardware, and power tools
- Build and compete with a robot of their own design
- Improve teamwork, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Compete and cooperate in alliances and tournaments
- Understand and practice Gracious Professionalism™
- Earn a place at the FIRST Championship
- Qualify for $22+ million in college scholarships
The really cool thing about FIRST Robotics Competition is…all skill levels are welcomed and needed, technical or non-technical. Teams need all kinds of skills to succeed, so what are you good at? We have a job for you. And we’ll probably teach you a few new ones while you’re with us.
Student team members are encouraged to bring any skills they already have, like programming, electronics, metalworking, graphic design, web creation, public speaking, videography, and many more. FIRST Robotics Competition welcomes every student, with or without special skills. Like our Mentors say, “This is the only sport where if you show up, you can play.”
A big advantage to participating in FIRST is gaining access to millions in college scholarships made available by colleges, universities, and corporations who support FIRST. This is exclusive financial help open only to FIRST team members, giving them a competitive leg up on other students seeking educational funds.
- Most are for use at the specific Provider college or university, but some can be used at any school
- About 35% of FIRST Scholarships can be used for any course of study, not just engineering
- Amounts vary from one-time awards to full four-year tuition
For more information, visit www.firstinspires.org